pictures in this blog

Please click on pics to see full image. Some just can't fit in the space provided cause they are too sweet!

LUKE @ 6 years old

LUKE @ 6 years old

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

DAY 32, Pismo Beach-DAY 33, HOME!!!

Friday was a good ride and it was nice to rest at my sisters. We had a really laid back evening, went out for pizza and it was great. It did upset my stomach pretty bad though. Happy to be near a real toilet for a while. Went to bed pretty early and I was pretty spent from the ride north. I felt like once I was pointed in that direction it was time to put on the miles.

Saturday morning came early and I awoke to a craving for coffee and breakfast. So I woke my sister up and we headed to the Honeymoon Cafe. Just like the last time I was there the food was terrific and coffee was great.

Here is their outdoor grill. Smells GREAT!



We then walked around Pismo and checked out some shops. Also watched the surfers for a bit. I had some errends to run so we headed back to the house. I was silently planning my ride home on Sunday, leave really early and get home in time for dinner. I had finished my Maintanance on the bike and started to pack it up. Went to Costco for a couple of bottles of GREY GOOSE Vodka. 1.75ltrs for $45.

I had talked to my wife around 11am and was really wanting to get home. So I rearanged my plans to leave Saturday at 2:30 and drive north, rest for a while and then continue to the house, completing the ride home in under 24 hours. If I keep good records of the trip, gas reciepts and wittnesses at the start and finish, I can send in for a Saddle Sore certificate.
1000 miles in 24 hours.



Well, I got everything packed and got my gear on. longjohns, layers of fleece and my down coat, thick socks and warm gloves. I look like I weigh about 300lbs. But I am warm.

To start the trip, I had to go to a gas station and fill up, the reciept date and time marks the start of my trip home. I had my sister be my wittness and she filled out the appropriate paperwork and we hugged good-bye and took some photos.
2:30 at Shell Station. 0.0 miles

The next hour of riding had me in and out of four thunder storms. Lightning and heavy rain. No hail. I would ride into one, get soaked and then ride out, dry out, ride into another, then out, dry out and so on. My gloves suffered the most as they got wet inside, pretty hard to dry them out.

The bike wet but getting dry.

Blue sky, calm before the next storm.


All part of the fun.
Salinas, Ca. 145miles filled up, at 4:30pm. Had a snack and hit the road.

Just north of Salinas I went east toward I-5. Followed Hwy 156 toward Hollister, then Hwy 152 to Hwy 33 north to Santa Nella, then hit I-5. Kinda nice to get off the Main Hwy and do some back roads.
San Louis Resivour





Got to Woodland, Ca at 8:20pm and put 5gallons in the tank. 145+202.9=347.9miles


Making great time and while in Woodland I stopped for a sandwich at Jack in the Box. Got in line behind two families and it took way longer than it needed too. But it did the trick and I wasn't hungry anymore. Took some vitamins and hit the road.

Next stop Redding, Ca. forgot to snap a picture so here is the details so far. Filled up at 10:15pm with 3.8gallons. 349.9+147.5=497.4. Almost half way home.

It was getting colder now and I started to wonder how the passes would be. I knew there had been no precipitation and it was a clear night. So just how cold would it be? I figured It would be about 30deg. standing still. Much colder with the windchill of moving at 60-70mph. Oh boy!


Once over the pass, it got very Foggy! This fog was very wet and I got soaked again and my visor was hard to see out of. Solution: slow down to about 30mph and take it slow. Watch the Gps for upcoming corners and let the cars pass.

I made my way to Grants Pass and at 1:52am pulled into a Shell Station and filled up with 4.9gallons. 497.4+186.7=684.1miles
I was pretty cold, but having a blast. I also didn't feel like stopping yet, I was getting hungry again and decided to stop in Roseburg at the Denny's.
Had some Chicken Wings and Fries. Also a bunch of HOT coffee.



I was suprised how many people are in a Denny's at 4am. Almost all the tables were occupied.
I was warmed up a bit and decided to hit the road. My wife had made plans with here sister for the morning so I wanted to get home before she left. That way she would have to stay home with me for the day.
At 5:47 I pulled off in Albany, Or. and filled up with 4.3gallons and did some jumping jacks to get my blood moving again. 684.1+177.6=861.7miles

I was excited now and the smile on my freezing face was starting to hurt. Chapped lips and wind burn. Oh Baby.
The sunrise over Mt. Hood was amazing and the weather was great.


Hit the Washington/Oregon border at 7am.

Got to Lacey at 8:30 and filled up at the 76 Station by my house. 5gallons 861.7+197.7=1059.4miles

I then pulled into my neighbor hood and cruised into my driveway. My wife met me at the door and snapped some final pictures.
Then put the bike in the garage. It needs to rest. It did me right on the trip and I have no complaints.


Great stuff. Thanks for reading. Later Luke.

No comments:

Post a Comment