pictures in this blog

Please click on pics to see full image. Some just can't fit in the space provided cause they are too sweet!

LUKE @ 6 years old

LUKE @ 6 years old

Friday, March 5, 2010

TIME IS FLYING BY

If I could I would stay for a long time down here in Baja. It is really easy to fall in love with it. Fun. Cheap. Exciting. Beautiful.

But things must get back to normal for me, so after kicking it with my wife for a week, we parted ways on Monday, March 1st. That was tough. I am sad that she was not able to experience it the way I did. Maybe someday.

Moday her dad and I road to La Paz and camped. Really nice place that I was at before, only now the wind had blown all the sand away. We did find a soft spot to pitch our tents behind a dune. Had a restful nights sleep and made coffee in the morning. Also got the fishing pole out and caught a couple of scorpion fish, not fun. They have a ridge of spines down their back that poke you, very painful, I hear, you have to pee on it so make the pain go away. So I was very carefull. With two pairs of pliers I was able to get my lure back from its ugly mouth.



We packed it up and headed to San Carlos on thee Bay of Magdelana. I wanted to watch the whales and everyone I had talked to on the way down said this was the best place. But you know how it goes when you take a recomendation, there is a chance you won't have the same experience. Well it was a bust. Too much money for not enough time in the boat, we did see whales in the distance but not even close enough to get a photo. I guess for forty more dollars they will take you out to where the whales are. I thought that's what I paid for origianaly. Oh well on bad experience won't ruin this trip. Stayed in a small hotel, with a great restaurant attached. Dave's bike fell over in the sand. It was very funny. He wanted me to help him get it up but I wouldnt until I got the picture. and then rode to San Ignacio to stay at a stop on the Baja 1000. Rice and Beans another hotel.

Dave is pretty funny. There are multiple military checkpoints that you have to go through. They ask you, where are you coming from? where are you going? open your stuff so they can poke around. unzip your jacket so I can rub my hands on you. and a bunch of other annoying stuff that slows ya down. Dave speaks pretty good spanish, I call it restaurant spanish. Because thats where he uses it the most. Well at one check point we rolled in together with him in the lead. The gaurd had to talk to him. He pretended not to know what was being said and answered all the questions wrong and in a southern drawl. I was nearly off my bike from laughing so hard. I had to flip my helmet down to cover my face. They asked him where we were coming from and he said Guerro Negro, which is ahead of us about 200 miles. He then asked if there was whales there? Lots of head nods from the gaurds who told him the correct pronuciation for whale is BI-YANAS, but dave kept responding BALL-ANUS. I was laughing for the next 30 miles.

We left San Ignacio around 9 and rode all day to make it to Rosorito Beach, just south of the border. I Kinda wanted to stay at Ramone's bistro but we still had some daylight and decided to push on. The wind was so strong that on one rest stop, my seat cushion flew away, never to be seen again. And I left the chunk of plywood that my kickstand rests on in the sand somewhere. I new that would happen eventually. I was supposed to tie a string to it and wrap it around the handlebars as a reminder. oh well.
We logged 544miles that day. Rode for 2 hours in the dark. But had no problems other than getting cold.

I am kinda antsy to get home. I was gonna take my time, but I don't think I can make myself slow down.
The bike in Rosarito. I'm headed to see my sister and get my warm gear for the ride north. Only 400miles today. I am thinking of doing an IronButt ride to get home. 1000miles in 24 hours, documented and wittnessed.
Well I'm packed and ready. Gonna hit it. Later

No comments:

Post a Comment