Tuesday, February 2, 2010

DAY 1-OLYMPIA, WA TO EUREKA, CA. 596miles

Well, I did it. Left home at 4:17am after not sleeping all night. I was just too excited! Everything was ready the night before, I thought that might ease my mind but, nope, it was racing all night long. The ride started great, little patches of fog and a partialy full moon. It wasn't too cold either. I made it to centrailia before pulling off and checking my front brakes. They were still kinda sticky but not bad enough to worry about. If anything it affects my miles per gallon. I was thinking though about the sisikues(?) and possibly going over some icy patches and it sliding out. That would be bad... So, after filling up in salem @ 6:55am I went west toward Coos Bay on hwy38 along the umpqua river, very nice scenery. I wanted to stop at Bandon Dunes Golf Resort. http://www.bandondunesgolf.com/ just to see what all the fuss is about.

I can't wait to play that course! It would have been a nice day for a round. Oh well.

I left there after bumming a cup of hot water for my starbucks instant italian brew, and carried on in the rain towards California. I came up on a long line of vehicles waiting for some contruction near humbug st. pk. so I quietly made my way to the front of the line to chat with the flagger. He was nice but hard to hear with my ear plugs in so I just nodded and smiled as he talked about how mexico is so crazy not even the mexicans he works with will travel by car to visit family on the mainland. Good to know, I said as he flipped the sign to slow and I left him standing ther in the rain.

It was really raining now and the waves were spewing up a lot of mist. It wasn't long before i was soked and my gloves were full of cold water. I had to warm up, but didn't want to stop until I had to gas up again. So I found a laundry mat on my gps and was of to Eureka. Turns out it was right by a gas station, a meth rehab clinic, and a soup kitchen. I didn't care too much about all that cause I needed it badly. well, i ran out of gas as I pulled in to the laundry mat, so after drying my things and holding on to my biked so the lady/man thing with no teeth wouldn't try any thing stupid, like stealing my stuff and hawking it for drugs.

After that was over I pushed my bike over to fill it up for 3.35 a gallon. Ouch! Found a camp site for 20bucks and went for it. I knew when I pulled off the freeway and immediatly found the driveway to the campground that it was gonna be a noisy night. I was wrong though, cause, as soon as I pulled in to my camp spot, pulled out my tent, and laid down my tarp it simultainiously began to rain and got pitch black. Fortunatly I'm used to this, so with headlamp and determination I set up camp. I was glad there was nobody around because my Kelty tarp has black guy lines, which are invisible in any low light situatiion. I really need to switch them out with some reflective rope like I have on my tent. I only fell a few times before I started to remember where they where. Ducking here and hopping there. I am really happy with it 'cause the tarp is big enough to cover my tent and bike and have room for a dry space for cooking.. I like it.

Well its 7:45pm and I am BEAT! Can't wait to pack up and do it all again tommorow!

Later. Luke

No comments:

Post a Comment