Thursday, February 4, 2010

DAY 3- Bodega Bay, Ca to Arroyos Grande, Ca 473miles

Today was one of those days. If you knew ahead of time how it was gonna go, you may choose to do thing different. Well, I didn't, so I kept with my plan of going down Hwy 1. I highly recommend this to everyone as something to put on your bucketlist or whatever you have going.

I was awakened by the noise of a diesel engine idling near my camp, and immediatly thought about not paying the night before and the big sign about the fees and prosocution and jail. So when I made my way out of the tent and over to the rig I was met by the most smiley, happy to see me, park ranger. His eyes were all over me. I couldn't bring myself to let him know I hadn't seen any type of hygiene product or running water in three days, so I kept my distance and just explained how the booth to pay was closed when I came in and yada yada yada. He was very "nice" and said that he would be at the gate/booth and to come see him when I was ready. This made me nervous 'cause I noticed after about three seconds in this guys presence that he listned to Elton John exclusively. Very Villiage People, did they have a ranger? If only the guys I golf with were here to handle this situation.
My camp, morning of,
I packed up camp and was out the gate for twenty-two bucks, and ten minutes of chit-chat with the ranger. You know... must be lonely on the bike, bet it gets cold at night all alone in my tent, stop back by on your way through... My replies were looks of confusion and wierd smiles. I could not leave fast enough. But I eventually did leave and headed down the coast. I had a blast riding down the beat-up road and cautiously rounding every corner. This was challenging because they had a huge storm a week or so ago and every little or big hill near the road washed on to the road, leaving a slippery mess of mud, rock, leaves, and whatever else was out there. I even saw and tent hanging by a thread on a gaurdrail. I had planned to stop in Santa Cruz. I've always had a nice time there. This time was different. Maybe because its winter? It was just depressing. It smelled bad along the beach, which I found out later to be a huge sewage drain problem. Which they remedied by pumping it on to a beach and bulldozing it into the waves. I wanted to take a picture of this but the smell kept me from stopping.

I eventually stopped to stetch the legs atop some steep cliffs near a little harbor. I fugured a good spot for a picture and I had good cell service. I took my picture, called my peeps and geared up to get on the bike. What I haven't told you yet is that this trip is possible because of the seat pad I use. It is a self-inflating 1" pad that I sit on. It allows me the comfort I need to ride long distances. Well, my trip was almost ruined when I kicked my leg over the seat, catching the pad as it went over. The pad took flight like a football after kickoff! It went about 8' in the air before the wind caught it. I stood in shock as it went over the fence/gaurdrail toward the waves pounding the cliffs. I ran around my bike so fast that I forgot I was still plugged into my headphones. If I wouldn't have wrapped the cord around my tank-bag it wouldn't have yanked me back hard enough to end up on my hands and knees wondering what just happened? My ears are in pain and I need to take my helmet of now and inspect the damage. Turns out my ears can take a beating. The pain began to go away quickly and I remembered "My seat cushion!!!"

Now not attached to my bike in any way I continued on my initial course aroung the bike to the cliffs. Yelling, "PLEASE!" As I neared the edge, I saw it, I yelled with excitement, it was within reach too. I reached out carefully as to not dislodge it from its resting place. When I had brought it safely back to the bike I remembered I was on a very busy street with lots of people enjoing the sights. I'm sure someone saw the whole thing and had a giggle. I was just relieved I wasn't going to have to get a cab to the hospital, then the airport and come home from having my ears ripped off my head.

The bad part of the day was just beginning and I won't write too much about it. I will just say, It was WINDY!!!, blowing right at me the whole way down to Morro Bay. Once I thought I was gonna take a spill as the wind pushed me and the bike toward the gaurdrail. But I was able to correct my course enough to avoid disaster.
South of Big Sur I had to stop and see/smell the sea lions. I guess they just gave birth? That was cool. Still very WINDY!
I was pushing hard all day and could barely get my bike into sixth gear, which really ate up the gas. I had to put in my two gallons I have on the back, and I still only was able to go 250miles, should be more like 300miles with 7 gallons.

I am still really against the whole Toyota Prius car and driver scene. Its just a bad combo. Bad drivers coupled to a slow pile of a car, with the worst timing ever. Always there to pull out in front, change lanes or just plain put the brakes on for no reason right in front of me. O.K. maybe their batteries were low and they were just regenerating them.

My Sister is doing great and we had an awsome dinner at an italian place near her house in Pismo Beach. I hope to just lay low for a day or two before I hit the road again.

later Luke

No comments:

Post a Comment