Saturday, February 20, 2010

WOW! DAY 18-La Ventana

The days are running together and I've lost track of the hours of the day. now I live by my hunger, the tides, and if it is geting light or dark. Pretty sweet. I have not been able to post as much as I would have liked to so the next few paragraphs will be a long synapse of what youve missed...

Let's recap... The trip into Baja has been both exciting and motivating. you realize that the "world" we live in of working and buying things and down to even the day to day grind is somewhat erased on a trip like this. Just what people need to put a real smile on their faces. As I have made my way through the Baja I've really fell in love with both the area and the people, gringos and natives alike.
Take the beach I stayed at, playa Santispac, I was recieved by the beach campers and the locals with open arms. People who I haven't known but for a few hours are offering me the use of their kayaks and R.V. bathrooms/showers. and anything else they have. Only having to buy the first drink at the restaurant and the rest are on the house is pretty cool, too.

Well, after I wore that beach out I cruised on to Loreto, just a short ride south. I figured that since it is a farely large city that they would have cell coverage. NOPE. But I did manage to stay in a R.V. camp for 5 bucks, with great facilities. The dog in the yard right next to my tent barked all night, I mean all night. Then even though I was wearing earplugs, the chickens woke me up very early. I guess when the guide book says it is noisy at night they mean it. I met a nice lady, Helen, from Vancouver Is. She is on a motorcycle trip most of us only dream about. Now retired, she is able to ride for a while, stay for a while, back track and do it again. she hopes to do the entire Hiway from alaska to argentina. very cool. I left there after she made me an excellent cup of coffee, and headed out towards La Paz.

It was a great ride and wonderful scenery along the way. Mountians jutting up from the sea and the vegitation is so green from recent rains. Most of you have never driven roads like this. Back home our paved forest service roads are in better shape. You also have numerous obsticles to avoid; cattle, burros, horses, birds, semi-trucks, dust, wind, no shoulder on the roadside what-so-ever, unmarked corners, rebar poking out all over the place along the ditches beside the roads, HUGE pot-holes, and many other things that will keep you on your toes.
Twisty road coming up!
Washed out!

So with all that in my way it didn't stop me from arriving in La Paz. Big city. I felt like I needed more money than I had on me so I stopped at the atm. Met a great local guy there named Rigo. he chatted with me in limited but good english and i was able to listen intently as he told be about his recent trips he had taken to British Columbia and Tucson, Arizona. He invited me to go camping with him at the end of Febuary at a Ranchers meeting. I will not be able to cause I will still be in Cabo. I am sure they will have a grat time. I will ride through where he is going to camp, so i will check it out.

One rigo and I parted ways at the bank I headed through town and up to a pennisula with free camping on the most amazing beaches. Had to ride through deep sand to get to a spot, but didn't dump the bike this time. I used combo of LOTS of throttle and good balance. One of the campers came by later and said he could hear my bike coming through the dunes and saw a 3 meter rooster tail of sand. that is so cool. He was shocked to see my street bike had made it. I said its the indian not the arrow. Complementing myself for my advanced riding skills. LOL! I had a nice dinner of fish ceviche and a Pacifico. All for 60pesos.($4.50) I went to bed soon after it was dark so I could be up early to catch some fish. When I was awakened in the morning before dawn by very loud spashing noises coming frome the sea, turns out to be about a 1000 birds eating breakfast of sardines. I quickly got up and grabbed my pole. Caught a couple of nice size fish. don't know what they were and didn't get a photo, so you'll have to just believe me. Soon after that action was over, I broke camp and throttle my way back out of the dunes toward La Paz. I needed to get a new snorkle mask and some new lures and some food stuffs, pretty easy to find and soon after I was on my way to a new camp, in La Ventana.My camp in La Ventana, Kiteboard Heaven. Although no wind right now:(


Along the way I found this place. Beach of the dead. They are trying to change the name to Beach of Dreams. Ha Ha


Here I have met some great people from all over. They dome for the wind to board and surf. They took me out and showd me a good time, food and entertainment. I had to get up and stun them all with my open mic night skills. They were slighty impressed, I think. That wrapped up last night and went back to camp. I must have bumped my stove geting into the tent cause this morning the fuel was gone! good thing I have a 2 gallon can of gas waiting for me to make stupid mistakes like that one. So after refueling my stove I fried up some eggs and tortillas. There are these little red ants that get into everything. Not good. Bug spray kills them. That is a comfort...

I just got back from a return trip to the Beach of the Dead, where I took the bike on a dirt road. Fun stuff!

Then I went snorkeling for a couple of hours, lots of cool fish, huge schools of medium sized fish. Also Hiked up to a Muslum styled palace. huge lots of money going into the contruction of that place, no workers were there so I poked around. Three elevators in the place, cause its on a hill side next to the sea. I was really bummed when I got there and realized my camera was in my topcase on my bike, a 20minute walk away. so no photos, just use your imagination to see what millions of dollars will buy you in the baja. I honestly have never seen a private home that nice. Mtv Cribs would have fainted.

Well thats most of whats been going on down here. so until next time. later luke




!

3 comments:

  1. Hey Luke, Sounds like a trip of a lifetime, I mean once in a lifetime :) All kidding aside, I'm pround that you have gotten out of your bubble and taking the opprutunties that present themselves. I can to see you. I miss you tons.
    P.S. no simpathay on the barking dogs. I know all aabout that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uncle Merlene here (Val's big sister)--Totally enjoying your trip. Enjoy hearing the tone of your voice as you relax more and more. I like that--it's the Indian, not the arrow. And doin' a "Dave." Say "hi" to Chelse!

    ReplyDelete
  3. stop leaving your camera... can you splurge and get a disposable water proof camera so you can show me some dive pictures when you get back?

    ReplyDelete