Monday, February 8, 2010

DAY 7 El Capitan, Ca to Carlsbad, Ca 250miles

Boy was I beat last night! I was too tired to go to sleep. Didn't really have that great of coverage for my phone so the last post was a little lame. Though it took me forever. I am now sitting now in my cool little chair warming my feet by the fire. Soon I'll go take a shower. I hope nobody is too grossed out that I go so long between showers. I have wet-naps, though they can only do so much good before I start to smell like a lemon.
The stars are out and the glow of L.A. is in the distance. Pretty nice. Early this morning I woke at 6am and broke down my camp, been wanting to do it in the dark to see if its easier than setting it up. It is. Didn't leave anything behind, that was a relief. I was a little groggy that early and didn't let my bike warm up totally. This means when I go to take off the engine will cut out. This usually is no problem but this morning I pulled what I like to call a "DAVE". Meaning I was going to pull out of my camp spot and was turning and the engine died and the bike slowly went over onto its right side. Now my bike is fine cause I wasn't moving at all. I was just not able to stop it from going over and resting on the luggage, I guess the weight of the bike fully loaded minus my weight to be around seven hundred pounds, so if its on its side is that divided in two? I hope so, cause I can't lift seven hundred pounds. Turns out I can't lift three-fifty either. I had to pull the stuff on the back off to get it upright. No biggy it comes off easy and in no time the bike was back to normal.
This time I wasn't worried about waking anyone up, I let the bike run until warm, fully choked. I love that sound.

Not long after I left the camp I started to see surfers bobbing in the waves. So I stopped to snap a picture. Of course my bike is in it, the surfers are way out there.

I kept to the coast highway, so I went through all the ritzy places like Malibu, Newport Beach, and everything in between those places was just crazy expensive looking. Saw a few different exotic cars, tons of Porsche, few lambos and Italian stallions, even some new Maserati's.
I had picked out a camp spot online and drove there, when I arrived the campground was closed. Now I know California is in a bad way financially and they are closing parks down but are they so strapped they can't have the website updated? Just write an I.O.U. already! With that bad news came even worse...

This turns out to be one of the best nude beaches(summertime)in the world. I always time things wrong.
Well my map showed that about 20miles south there was camping so I carried on. Carlsbad is rad. The picture below is the view from my camp. I had forgot my camera when I went to register and had to run back to get the sunset. Almost missed it. Its great!


After that I got out my light and chopped up veggies for breakfast, onions, red bell pepper, and potatoes. I decided to cook the potots tonight, man did they smell, they will fry up nice in am. Got tome egg whited and jalapeno cured bacon. So I will be eating great tomorrow. The fire is dying down enough for me to leave it alone and take a shower.

Just want to leave you with the suggestion to take a look at my blogs I a following. My wife's father is right behind me on his bike and is writing a very funny blog. Lots and lots of drama! I was able to download some frank Zappa to my mp3. Its so cool.
Later. Luke. Edit: I just read thru this, sorry about the grammar, I have no cursor when I do it on the phone so its hard to fix as I write.
Edit: fixed it.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the great blog... I look forward to it everyday...yeah, don't have much goin on here.

    ReplyDelete